![]() |
| Hiking back from Evans Peak on Day 5. |
![]() |
| Jen just a couple of miles in on the first day. |
![]() |
| Danny and I summitted Crown Mountain on Day 1. |
![]() |
| Looking off toward Scapegoat Mountain from Crown Mountain. |
![]() |
| Nearing camp after a long first day. |
![]() |
| On day 2, up Geen Fork Creek, we saw griz tracks. Yikes! |
![]() |
| Ellie and Danny swimming in a no-name lake up Geen Fork Canyon. |
![]() |
| Jen at the same lake. |
![]() |
| Pudge wasn't a fan of his backpack. |
![]() |
| The wall at Halfmoon Park. |
![]() |
| Halfmoon Park. |
![]() |
| A shot from our attempt at Scapegoat Mountain. |
![]() |
| Lounging in the tent. |
![]() |
| Hiking below Scapegoat. |
![]() |
| Further along the trail |
![]() |
| Traversing snow as we walk under Scapegoat. |
![]() |
| Ellie on the Continental Divide with the Scapegoat in the background |
![]() |
| Walking the Divide with Evans Peak in the background, which we would climb the next day. |
![]() |
| One of many stream crossings. |
![]() |
| Ellie, Danny, and Evans peak. |
![]() |
| On our hike of Evans Peak the next day. |
![]() |
| Evans Peak walking. |
![]() |
| Pudge cooling off. |
![]() |
| Danny and Ellie. |
![]() |
| Jen with Scapegoat Mountain in the background. |
![]() |
| Danny on the summit. |
![]() |
| My girls. |
![]() |
| On the way down. |
![]() |
| Last day, falls on the N. Fk. Blackfoot. |
![]() |
| Jen hiking the ridge. |
![]() |
| Looking off toward 8282. |
![]() |
| Freedom of the hills. |
![]() |
| Summit view. |




































5 comments:
John, Looks like you had a great trip! I am thinking about hiking into Halfmoon Park Wednesday (July 13), climbing Scapegoat on Thursday, and then hiking out on Friday. Did you encounter the "sketchy traverse" on the "goat trail" described by Tom Koytynski, or did you try going up the north side? -Rod
Based on the photo, it looks like you were approaching from the area north of the summit.
Hi Rod. We did encounter the 'sketchy traverse' and turned back, as we were with my daughter and her boyfriend. There was a spot where the trail was washed out and if you fell there, you'd be a goner. However, I crossed the area and it was straightforward, just nerve wracking. Actually, when I go back to do it, I'm going to do it from the south. I looked at that route from Evans Peak and it looks like a walk-up. What I'd do is hike into Carmichael, 15 miles or so in from N. Fk. Blackfoot Trailhead, and then do Scapegoat the next day and hike out.
When you say South, do you mean Southwest? I was up there on Monday and the Southeast approach looks sketchy. I ran into someone who went up from the northeast on a snowfield. and said it was straightforward without crampons. That is one big mountain! Did you guys go into those caves? I only went a short ways in, but check out the photos from an expedition in 2013.
http://caverpilot.com/caving/2013-scapegoat-expedition/
Hey ratpod. The route of our backpack was in a southwesterly direction, but we attempted the mountain from the northeast, at the head of the Green Fork drainage. We didn't go to the caves, but I saw a presentation once from a fellow who had done a bunch of caving in those caves. Apparently they're outstanding for that. Adventure on -- John
Post a Comment