![]() |
| Al, Skila, and I about to embark on the ridge traverse behind us. Photo by Rod Benson. |
![]() |
| Al, Skila, and I about to summit Steamboat Mountain with Scapegoat Mountain looming massive in the background. Photo by Rod Benson |
![]() |
| Al looking at our route. Photo by Rod Benson. |
![]() |
| Near the beginning above, and near the end below, of the ridge between Steamboat Lookout and Steamboat East. |
![]() |
| Al with the deep Scapegoat in the distance. |
![]() |
| Walking the beginngs of the ridge from Steamboat Mountain |
![]() |
| A bit further along. |
![]() |
| Looking south toward Red Mountain and Caribou Peak. |
![]() |
| Looking toward Steamboat East. |
![]() |
| Looking north into the Plains with Haystack Butte on the right. |
![]() |
| Looking back toward Steamboat Mountain. |
![]() |
| At about the midway point on the ridge. |
![]() |
| The crux of the route -- still only class 2, but loose and steep after an already long walk -- heading up toward Steamboat East from the low point on the ridge. |
![]() |
| Al and a tired Skila. |
![]() |
| A view back along the ridge with my pack and unnecessary ice axe. |
![]() |
| The summit of Steamboat East is a strange, moonscape-like place. |

















2 comments:
So delighted to see you found this traverse. It is among my favorites in the Front.
Others I'd recommend:
--- Teton Pass across Washboard Reef to Olney Creek
--- Mount Lockhart to Teton Peak up North Fork Waldron, down South Fork Waldron
--- Crown Mountain Traverse --- up Crown Mountain Trail, climb mountain, find pass through cliffs on west, come down ridge running on northwest side of Whitewater Creek
You'll love these. I think the Rocky Mountain Front is one of Montana's many treasures.
Tom Kotynski, Great Falls
Thanks for the list Tom. I actually just saved your Garmin Adventure page for Washboard Reef, for a future trip to the Front, as I saw it on your blog recently. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment