On my mom's last day in Copenhagen, I went to Helsinki again for a conference called Inverse Days. My research has always focused in a mathematical area called 'inverse problems', and the Finns easily have the biggest and best group of researchers in inverse problems in the world. Every December for 24 years they've hosted the conference Inverse Days in different cities throughout Finland.
I went to Inverse Days back in 2006, when we were living in Finland, and had a memorable experience: on the night before my talk, I mixed too much sauna and beer, and then spent half of the next day in bed, before heading to the conference midday to give my talk. Thankfully, I was able to pull it off, though I was feeling queasy throughout.
This Inverse Days, Jen joined me. I went to the conference, but Jen and I also got to do some sightseeing and eating. It was nice to spend a few days together before our next round of visitors, Ellie and Jen's mom Karen, who are here now. Ellie had a hellacious trip with two flight delays, leading to two 8 hour layovers -- one in Minneapolis and one in Amsterdam -- and twelve hours without food.
The end of our time here in Copenhagen is coming soon, so I've been trying to soak it all in, taking walks near our home on Nyhavn. My favorite walk goes around the opera house and then through the 'residential area' of Christiana. I've posted two videos from the walk at the end of the blog.



No comments:
Post a Comment