Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Copenhagen Journal #15: Hamburg


This past weekend was Mom's last of her visit (she's now on her way back to Montana), and we spent it in Hamburg, Germany. Hamburg is a big industrial port city, and it was recommended to me by my host at DTU, so I thought we'd see it while my Mom was here. We took the train, which involved a ferry crossing mid-trip, and rented an Airbnb for Friday and Saturday night. It was an enjoyable weekend. I really like Hamburg. It's not as beautiful as Copenhagen (few cities are), but it's bigger and more diverse, just as Germany is a bigger and more diverse country than Denmark. We had good, cheap ethnic food, and saw some good sights. There was a large retrospective show of work by the artist Phillipe Vandenberg at the Kunsthalle, which I loved (see photos below). Also, the model train museum Miniatur Wonderland was insane - Jen and Mom liked that best. I loved the Christmas Market at the Rathaus, which made me feel like I was really experiencing Germany. After three days of pounding the pavement, we were all exhausted. The trip was a great way to cap off Mom's visit.


I loved this piece best. The artist removed almost all of the paint from a finished painting, nearly back to a blank canvas. 



The Elbphilharmoni.




Hamburg Harbor is one of the world's biggest.



No comments: