Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Wolverine and Carmine Peaks, Swan Front

Self-portrait, looking north from Wolverine Peak in the Swan: Carmine Peak is in the foreground, and Holland Peak is the big one in the distance.
September was a big (almost overwhelming so) month for many things, including climbing peaks. Summer-like weather continued throughout the month, and I was lucky enough to get into the high peaks of our local ranges multiple times. The only one of those trips I've yet to write about is the one I made to Wolverine and Carmine Peaks on the Swan Front. These are the first two peaks along the Front south of Holland Lake. They are very accessible -- in terms of mileage and route finding -- from Clearwater Lake Road, but the route is quite steep, strenuous, and contains some class 3 climbing.  My GPS route can be found here, where you'll see that I ascended the west ridge of peak 8535, just south of Wolverine. From 8535, I then walked north to Wolverine and then on to Carmine. There was a bit of class 3 getting up to Wolverine and then again on the walk over to Carmine. For a better dog route, I left the south ridge of Carmine and traversed to the east ridge before ascending, but I could easily have stayed closer to the south ridge. 

I go to places like these, in part, for those moments, often towards the end of the day, when my mind stops churning and a sense of well-being pervades. Such moments are illusive for me, even in the mountains. I know that I'm not alone in this -- that countless others seek well-being and uplift in places like these.

The Missions in the morning with the Swan casting a shadow on the valley.

Along the ridge we walked up to 8535.


Once on the Swan Front, looking over to Wolverine.

Pudge and Wolverine.

The Missions from the summit of Wolverine Peak.
Looking back at Wolverine on the traverse to Carmine.

Carmine summit cairn.
Looking back at Wolverine.
Looking into the Bob from the Swan Front.
Pudge on Wolverine.
Pudge tired in the heat on Wolverine on the way back to the car.

From Clearwater Lake Road on the way out: the left-hand peak is Wolverine, and the right-hand peak is Ptarmigan Benchmark.

No comments: