Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Finally Gray Wolf

The view north from Gray Wolf into the heart of the Missions.

For Missoula area folks that are drawn to high places, Gray Wolf Peak, in the Missions, looms large. Every time I drive up through Evaro on a clear day, it sits massive and beautiful on the horizon, and I think, "I've got to go and climb that!" In fact, it had become a bit of an embarrassment for me, with all of the climbing that I do, that I had yet to summit Gray Wolf. So on a clear day a while back, I got it out of the way. Even without the summit bid, this is a beautiful hike, through the Riddell and Scenic Lake Basins, but the climb to summit is also one of the best in the area, with a couple of class 4 spots that require some route finding and a steady head. 

Sometimes I get into these places and think, "Pay attention, John!" And not just because danger is close at hand, but because the surroundings are so beautiful and unique, and I am there in that moment, and yet still often lost in my head. 

For directions to Gray Wolf, see the summitpost page for the peak.  
Looking east from the NE ridge of Gray Wolf over Gray Wolf Lake to the Swan Range.

Looking off toward the Swan from the NE ridge.
Looking north from the NE ridge of Graywolf.
Summit cairns on Gray Wolf.
Looking up at the NE ridge of Gray Wolf. You can see 'The Notch', where the 4th class spots are on the ridge.
McLeod Peak on the way down.

No comments: