Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Stanley Hot Springs, Idaho

On the hike out.
On the weekend before last, Jen and I drove over Lolo Pass into the Lochsa country, Idaho, and hiked in to Stanley Hot Springs. The hike begins from the Wilderness Gateway Campground on the Lochsa River, about 95 miles from Missoula. It is 5 miles in to the springs, which you would think would keep the people away, but every time I've gone - always in October or November - it's been busy. I think this is due to the fact that Stanley is relatively close to several small colleges in Eastern Washington, so invariably on weekends in the fall, there's a college group on a backpacking trip to the springs. It's also one of the few late season backpacking options in the area, period, so it draws other groups as well. Even given its busyness this time of year, I recommend it. 

After a relaxing hike in, soak, and hike out, Jen and I stopped for dinner at the Lochsa Lodge on the way home, where the food was good as always. All-in-all, a great day.

If you go: don't miss the right-hand fork in the trail just after the 4 mile mark, after which the springs are about 1/2 mile.


Jen in the upper pool at Stanley Hot Springs.

No comments: