Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Pacific Crest Trail with Dave: Central Oregon

Dave and I on the lava flows just before McKenzie Pass, Day 6.

From South Cinder Cone: Three Fingered Jack (right), then Mount Washington, the Three Sisters, and Broken Top
Ellie was telling me lately about how she'd like to live outside of Montana after she finishes high school. And I told her about how after I got my Masters degree at Montana State back in 1998, I really wanted to leave Montana and live elsewhere. So, I applied to a bunch of different graduate schools, intending to get my PhD, and ended up going to Eugene to attend the University of Oregon. We were there for two years and the legacy of that time lives on in many way. One of the main legacies for me is my friendship with Dave Sumner, who lived with his family in the same family housing unit as we did. Dave was pursuing his PhD in English then, and is now a Professor at Linfield College in Oregon. Since those years, which ended in the summer of 2000, we've gone on 10 backpacking trips during the summer months in several of the states in the West: Montana, Washington, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming. Dave and I have roughly the same level of hunger for challenge, so we're well suited to backpacking together.    

This summer Dave planned 120 miles on the PCT, from just south of Mount Hood to the south end of the Three Sisters Wilderness near Bend. It turned out to be a fantastic backpack - one of the best we've done - primarily due to our many meetings with thru-hikers doing the PCT. These long-distance hikers were an inspiration and were almost uniformly in good spirits. In hindsight, this was likely due to the great weather we were having, to the spectacular terrain we were traveling through, and to the fact that the trail had already culled those who weren't cut out for the challenge. But I also think that once you're on the PCT, it's another world, where the cares of normal life are far away and you're just focused on the day. When you think about it, being care-free is a lot to have in common with someone. I hope to go back some day and do a longer section: the Oregon section with Jen, or even the entire thing with Dave when we retire (we met two 75 years old fellows who had started in Mexico). Dave and I are already planning next year: back to the Bechler River in Yellowstone, which we did with Alex and Penn two years ago, with the girls.
Mt. Hood, Day 2.

Mount Jefferson & Dave, Day 3.

Looking back at Mount Hood. 
Heading up the Pass before Jefferson Park. 

Resting on the pass.

Evening photo of Mt. Jeff and I at Jefferson Park.

Leaving Jeff Park on the morning of Day 4. 

Dave, Mt. Jefferson, and I on Day 4.

Striking a pose on South Cinder Cone, with (from right to left) Three Fingered Jack, Mt. Washington, and the Three Sisters.
Black Butte (of Black Butte Porter fame) from South Cinder Cone.

Evening light, Three Fingered Jack, and the Sisters peaking over the trees on the left.
Looking south to Mt. Washington and the Three Sisters.
Camping at Big Lake.

This evening was a highlight. We camped with other thru-hikers: a couple of gals from NYC, a woman from Missoula, and a fellow from all over.
One of my favorite shots. Dave hiking the lava flows before McKenzie Pass.

Looking back north, the way we'd come, from the Three Sisters Wilderness. If you look closely, you can see Mt. Hood.

A close up of Jefferson from the same spot as the last photo, so that you can see Mt. Hood behind it.

Dave in the Three Sisters.

The walk through the Three Sisters Wilderness was the neatest of the trip.

On the last day: South Sister looming large, with Middle Sister behind it.

No comments: