It's easy to take the beauty of a place for granted and begin thinking of it as ordinary. Fairmont Hot Springs is such a place for me. I've been going there during summers since I was about 12 years old, when my grandfather bought a one week time share there, and we began going every summer. My mother inherited that time share when my grandpa died back in 2006 and since then we've gone many times. Every time I go, I'm struck by how beautiful and quiet it is. This year, we spent most of a week there, at the end of July, and had a very enjoyable time. We rested and watched old 90's-era romantic comedy classics, but also got out for several outings: a tour of underground Butte, hiking to Lost Cabin Lake in the Tobacco Roots, a trip to Virginia City and to the Opera House to watch the Virginia City Players (which was great), a hike to the summit of Haystack Mountain just north of Butte, and a solo day trip for me to one of my favorite spots in the world: the Goat Flat region of the Pintlers and a summit tour of Kurt, Queener, and Rainbow Mountains. We ended the trip with a visit to Jen's grandparents in Helena. In hindsight, it's looking to be easily one of the best weeks of the summer.
 |
No comments:
Post a Comment