Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Fisher Peak to Ptarmigan Benchmark Ridge Walk: Swan Range

Fisher Peak and its north ridge. This is why I love this stuff!
Fisher Peak from FS Raod 4353 on the way out.

A definite highlight of my climbing year this year is in an outing that I did a couple of weeks back in the Swan, first bagging Fisher Peak, then walking the ridge line to Ptarmigan Benchmark, and finally, returning via a slightly alternate route, but up and over Fisher again. It was a big day at 10 hours of near-constant walking at a good clip, and at times the climbing was challenging, but not enough to give me a scare.

I've fallen in love with the Swan this past year. They're very challenging but are also inviting. In my opinion they are slightly more accessible than the daunting Missions across the Seeley-Swan Valley. And they also are rarely visited. For example, neither Fisher nor Ptarmigan had a summit cairn, which I think is fantastic! 

I started from the first switch back coming south on FS Road 4353, which I had thought was the beginning of the Sunday Mountain trail (further up the road). The bushwack to the western slopes of the Swan ridge was straightforward, gaining the ridge below the south ridge of Fisher required some class 3 climbing, and I was up on Fisher, after some class 3 moves on the southeast face, within 2.5 hours (and 2.5 miles according to my GPS). The ridge walk to Ptarmigan Benchmark is fun but challenging. I took care with route finding coming down the north ridge of Fisher, which some say is class 4, though I never felt out of my comfort zone, and then there were several class 3+ spots on the way to Ptarmigan, which I reached in another 2+ hours. I should also have done Peak 8894 on my way back. What was I thinking? It was hot and I was tired. My GPS route can be seen here.
The south ridge of Fisher. I ascended the gully to the right of the ridge.
The view north to Ptarmigan, in the center back, from the summit of Fisher.
The view south from Fisher.
Another view north from Fisher along the ridge, where the going gets steep!

Along the north ridge of Fisher, a view of George Lake.
Fisher and Fire Weed.
A portion of the knife edge between Fisher and Ptarmigan (in the distance).

Another wild flower shot below Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan Benchmark.
Looking north from Ptarmigan to Holland Peak in the distance.
Looking south back at Fisher.

A great shot of Fisher.
Heading back from the base of 8894 to the ridge.
Selfie on the ridge before climbing the north ridge of Fisher.
A shot looking south on the climb up Fisher's north ridge.
Fisher's summit again on the way home.

No comments: