Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Ward Mountain, Bitterroot Range


I've been getting out weekly so far this year and getting up on top of a mountain within a reasonable drive of Missoula. When you do something weekly, it begins to enmesh with your life, and as a result, it becomes more ordinary. The exulted feeling that got you into the activity in the first place softens. I heard a biologist say that this 'trend toward ordinariness' is key to the survival of our species: the greatest intensity is saved for new experiences because they hold the most potential for danger. On the other hand, the relationship with Wild Country also deepens when you're a frequent visitor. This past week was a rough one, and it hit a crescendo on Friday. So I opted to not join Jen & Ellie on a trip to the Dearborn and instead stay home, bag a peak, and have some time to myself. Alex was also home, so it wasn't a bad idea to keep an eye on him (and the house) as well. My climb was of Ward Mountain, which is one of the 9000+ footers of the Bitterroots. The week was still sitting heavily on my mind for most of the hike, but I finally felt myself letting go near the end of the day. I take this as evidence of a deepening relationship with the mountains: a place where I go for solace in difficult times, for challenge (always), for inspiration (always), and for uplift in good times.   

Ward Mountain is just south of Hamilton, is easy to get to, and is a trail hike to the summit. For directions see this summit post description. It's a slog up to the top, requiring about 5000 feet of gain in 5-6 miles. The views from the top of the Como Peaks, The Shard, and El Capitan are outstanding. By the way, you can mountain bike to the summit, which would be a burly climb.

I've become a big fan of spring peakbagging: the temps are cool, the hikes are a mix of trail and snow, with the snow well-consolidated and easy to travel on once you get to it. With the trail head at such a low elevation, Ward Mountain is the perfect spring mixed trail/snow climb.

No comments: