Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Cork Area Activities

Jen looking over Kinsale Harbor from the wall of Charles Fort.

From Tuesday to Thursday, I met with University of Cork graduate applied mathematics students for their project work related to an online course that they have been taking from me since September. They are a great bunch, and I really enjoyed finally meeting them face-to-face. We ended our time together with project presentations Thursday, followed that evening by pints at a local pub, which was one of the highlights of the visit for me. Online courses are challenging for the teacher accustomed to the classroom, where face-to-face interaction plays a major role. Teaching well online requires the development of new skills, which keeps the job of teaching fresh.  I look forward to making the course better next time. 

Even with the daily meetings at U. Cork, Jen and I still had our afternoons to sight see, and so we did the standard touristy Cork area things. First, we visited the Blarney Castle and kissed the Blarney Stone (yes, I did it too, as my own 'gift of gab' is limited). This was actually an enjoyable, mellow outing. The castle grounds are nice for walking. The next day, we spent the afternoon at the sea side village of Kinsale, which I especially enjoyed. The day was gorgeous, making the walk along the sea to the Charles Fort and back spectacular, with a long stop at a seaside pub. 

And finally, Cork City itself is a bustling small city. I actually love it. For a town of 250,000, it is surprisingly lively; more so, in fact, than many U.S. cities that I've been to that are much larger. It would be a fun town to live in for a while.
Blarney Castle

Another of Blarney Castle

Johnny Walsh at Blarney Castle. Johnny comes from a town on Sheep's Head Peninsula where at one point in the past he said, "about half the town left for Butte" and where Walsh is a very common name. Walsh is also a common name in Butte. 
The walk along the bay to Charles Fort, Kinsale.

Heading back from Charles Fort.

A seaside pub, where we took a long, sunny break, Kinsale in the distance.

Charles Fort.

No comments: