Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Mill Point, Bitterroots

Add caption
Jen and I are leaving for Ireland tomorrow (April 1). I have been teaching an online course that students at the University of Cork have been taking since back in September, and I am going to Cork to help them work on their final projects. Before leaving, I wanted to get in an outing, so I took the gorgeous day yesterday to drive down the Bitterroot and climb Mill Point. 
Mill Point West and upper-Blodgett Canyon.
Missoula peak bagger, Dan Saxton, pointed out to me that you can see Mill Point from various places in the Missoula Valley (for example, the Y, the North Hills & Snowbowl); it's the pointy summit that sticks out prominently as you look south down the Bitterroot from various spots on the northern edge of town. The reason Mill Point is visible from Missoula is because it sits far out in the Bitterroot Valley relative to other Bitterroot Peaks; it's nearly directly north of the Blodgett Canyon trailhead and is probably 4 miles of steep walking to the summit. Due to 4000+ feet of elevation gain, and surprising heat, this was a more strenuous outing than Gash Point last week
Canyon Peak, Sheer Point, and North Canyon Peak.
Looking south into the distance. Dan Saxton identified these as The Shard, East Como, Middle Como, and West Como Peaks 
The route is straightforward: head downstream from the Blodgett Campground, looking up and left for a large grass ramp heading up in the upstream direction into a large break in the cliffs. This is where you want to go; it's class 2 to the ridge top. (More detailed directions are given here, but the way is pretty clear.) I saw a mountain goat on the way up. Once on the ridge, stay close to the canyon edge, where the dead fall is much less. I didn't do this on the way up and it got pretty bush-wacky. The ticks were out in force. Eventually, things open up and the last 1000 feet or so are through open woods with big views. Summit views are grand.

Looking north to the Heavenly Twins and St. Mary Peak.
Castle Crag.
The spectacular Bitterroot Valley looking north toward Missoula.

Flowers are already blooming.
Mill Point on the drive out.

1 comment:

averygaby said...

How deep was the snow at the worst parts? Did you need crampons or an ice axe?