Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Gash Point, Bitterroots

Snow shoe tracks up to the summit of Gash Point.
I do understand the absurdity of being an expert skier and yet hiking to the top of summits in snowshoes and then walking down through perfectly good, even really good, skiable snow. Some of the recent summits I've done don't lend themselves well to skiing, so I don't feel like a moron snow shoeing down, but with others the irony is obvious. Nowhere was this more apparent than on my trip to Gash Point last weekend, perhaps the most 'famous' back country skiing spot in the Missoula area. Nevertheless, just getting 'out among the peaks' is a wonderful thing, no matter how I do it. So despite the irony and absurdity, I still had a ball. Directions to get there can be found on this summit post page. My GPS track is here. 


Summit selfie
Sky Pilot
Southern view.
Pudge and the view north (St. Mary is visible in the distance).

No comments: