With last weekend's storm on it's way, it was clear that even the lower Missoula horizon summits would be covered in snow come Monday. So after work on Thursday last week, I drove up Pattee Canyon, then further up Deer Creek Road, and hiked up to the high point at the top of Deer Creek Road, Point 6672, which I call Deer Creek Peak. Deer Creek Peak is quite prominent when you look up Pattee Canyon from out in the Missoula valley, for example, from near Big Sky High School. It's also a taller peak than its neighbors Dean Stone and University, and the views from the top out into the valley and into the Rattlesnake are outstanding. For example, McLeod Peak is very much in view from the top (see pictures), and you can even see the Missions. Views of the Bitterroots are also good. All of this would suggest its inclusion in the Rocky Mountaineers Missoula Horizon Peaks list.
Getting there and the hike: Drive up Pattee Canyon, past both trail heads. About one mile after the road turns to dirt at the top, there will be a switch back heading left and a Forest Service Road on the right. Take the Forest Service Road. After climbing several miles, you'll come to a saddle where several roads meet with views into Miller Creek and of the Bitterroots. Stay on the main road another mile or two to another saddle and intersection of roads. Park here. You'll see Deer Creek Peak straight ahead. I hiked up the west face talus field/clear cut, but there's an old trail on the map that goes to the top. I found the lower part of the trail from where I parked, but then I lost it. Someone should find the trail because the hike up and down the west face is a strenuous bushwack and not that pleasant. The hike is not much more than a mile.
 |
No comments:
Post a Comment