Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Lake Mountain, Scapegoat Peakbagging

Mission Mountains and western Scapegoat/Bob Marshall from Lake Mountain
After last week's snow, I figured the hiking/peak bagging season was over, but then we got another little window today, Saturday Nov. 8, and with some gentle prodding from Missoula mountain biker Sam Schulz, I decided to take advantage of the weather and get out for one last peak bagging day. Kevin Joyce, who joined me on the North Canyon Peak hike a month ago, came along as well. It was a great day in the mountains with friends.

The trick of the trip was choosing a peak. Looking at the Snotel sites in the mountain ranges around Missoula, it was clear that a poor choice would mean a long snowy slog or even getting turned back. For example, the Stuart Mountain site reported one foot of snow in a single dump last week, and I knew that the Bitterroots and Missions were chalk-full. The Snotel sites in the Scapegoat, however, reported less snow. Also, last year I got a late summit of Red Mountain, so I figured we could make it up something with a south facing approach in the Scapegoat. I ended up choosing Lake Mountain, which is about 4.5 miles and 3500 feet up from the North Fork of the Blackfoot trail head into the Scapegoat. It's a beautiful trail along a ridge, with exceptional views all along. The views from the summit are, of course, awesome. I highly recommend it, especially in spring or fall.

Note that these pictures were taken with my tablet as I forgot my camera.
Kevin and Sam with Scapegoat Mountain behind them.

The last rise up to Lake Mountain.
Summit shot Sam. Rattlesnake on the left, Missions and western Scapegoat/Bob Marshall behind and to the right.
Summit shot Kevin, looking the opposite direction.

Looking south, Flint Mountains in the distance.
Similar shot this time with Sam.
And yet again.
Heading down.
And the long ridge walk down

Looking across the North Fork of the Blackfoot valley.
Love this shot

No comments: