Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Missoula Area Snowshoeing, November

Ch-paa-qn from the north.
Mount Calowahcan (thanks Nathan Noble) just over the ridge
The Missions above the Mission Valley.
With the snow and cold that descended in early November, announcing winter's unquestionable arrival, I wondered how to keep my joyfull trips into higher country going. In a typical year, during this shoulder season between the beginning of winter and when there's enough snow up high for good skiing, my outdoor activities have typically been restricted to the occasional run. This year, I thought I'd get snowshoes and extend the hiking season through November, and maybe even beyond.

So over the past few weeks, I've gotten out a few times on the weekends. The first trip was on a spectacular day, up to Burnt Fork Pinnacle, which is about 20 miles up the Ninemile Valley. My real goal was Three Lakes Peak, but I had gotten too late a start. Still, it was a stunning day, and the Reservation Divide is spectacular country. Ch-paa-qn sits prominently to the southeast, and the views down the Ninemile are memorable. This is a greak hike or snowshoe in a little visited area.
Ch-paa-qn
Ninemile Valley. Stark Mountain on the right.
Three Lakes Peak on the left, the Reservation Divide, Ch-paa-qn, and Missoula Valley in the distance.
Pudge.
Baldy Mountain, out toward Plains Montana.
The peaks of the Reservation Divide, with the Rattlesnake in the background.
Pudge and the Great Burn in the distance
Ninemile Valley on the way down. Stark Mountain on the right.

Pudge loves snow.
This past weekend I went up Allen Creek Road, just up in the mountains from Turah, and explored around for a few hours with Pudge. I didn't have enough time to explore very far, but I hope to go back for a long walk soon. The sun was shining and the views of Stuart Peak and Bonner Mountain were great from Allen Creek Road and the small summit I reached standing sentinel over Turah.
Woody Mountain with the Rattlesnake behind.
Bonner Mountain, which I climbed last weekend, a massive mountain

No comments: