Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fall, a Season for Cycling

On the way to Three Larch
This is probably my favorite time of year for biking in Missoula. The temps are a bit cool, but the leaves are changing, and even more spectacular in my opinion is the turning and falling of the larch tree needles. 
larch trees in Pattee Canyon
Last week, a research colleague and friend of mine, Jim Nagy, from Atlanta and Emory University came to talk math and mountain bike. We were successful on both fronts. I took Jim on the Dear Creek Sneak, then down through the Cox Property and the Zig Zag trail to town. The next day we did Three Larch from town. Jim mountain bikes a lot in Georgia and is a tough rider.
Georgian, mathematician, and mountain biker, Jim Nagy getting a taste of Missoula trails.
Cyclocross season is also now in full swing. We race Wednesday nights and it's great fun. I'm not in top shape, having had missed the summer cycling season, but I'm getting better each week.
I'm in there. The only one with teal in my jersey, three rows or so back. Tom Robertson photo I believe.

No comments: