Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Why Push It?

It's a good question.

After 39 years of life, after putting in 10 years hard effort at my job, I could begin to let off on the throttle with work. Life is short after all, right? But for each of us, 'making the most out of life' means something different. For me, it means pushing myself where I can. Research is something in which I can push myself as hard as I want, and it can take still more.

This trip to Helsinki has been a roller-coaster. One day I'm up, the next down. The work has been particularly challenging, and the problems hard to crack. The other night I asked Jen, 'Why do I do this?'. She said, 'Because you push it. That's what you do.' She's right, for better or for worse. Someimtes I dream of a simple life, close to home, but there's an animal in me that wants something else.

No comments: