Over the past three days, I've spent 12 hours in the Amsterdam airport -- in between a brief trip to Warwick, England to visit a research colleague -- on my way home. A normal person would have gone into Amsterdam city, but I've had work to wrap up before I go out of commission for the next several weeks -- can't wait!
It's been a good trip. In the end, the work really came together nice. It wasn't always clear that it was going to, even up to the last days, which made for many ups and downs, and even some depressed days, missing home.
Helsinki has become just one of the nice places in the world in which I have history. Going there now is not much different than if I were to go to Bozeman, for example, and spend three weeks. I've lived in Helsinki one year and have spent nearly a month there each of the past three years. It's kind of cool to feel so comfortable in a foreign city -- especially such a nice one -- but it also means that it's no longer exotic, and so I no longer feel the excitement of foreign travel when I go there. Still, it's a privelege, and I count my blessings.
Time to board the plane. Can't wait to get back home!
No comments:
Post a Comment