 |
| Mt. Ranier & SETAC, where I wrote this blog. |
Well, I'm off today for what has become my yearly sojourn to Finland for work. It's a blessing to be able to go to a different country and culture, work as hard as I can muster, wander (and hopefully run, once my collar bone is healed enough) the streets of Helsinki, interact with colleagues and friends, visit the sauna as much as possible, and live a simple, focused life for three weeks. Last year it was torture leaving the family. This year, I know that it's what I have to do, and so figure, why get all worked up about it? Why not instead focus on the positives? This makes leaving much easier.
It's a mystery how I fell into this gig of being a travelling research mathematician. I followed my interests and passions, kept moving forward in education, had pressures to provide and so got my PhD and became a professor, followed my curiousity in research, worked hard, had some luck, and eventually here I am. The basic ingredients are as follows: education, curiousity, consistent effort.
But education tops the list. It has given me my life, and I'm proud to be giving my life to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment