I spent last week in Helsinki at a workshop at the Finnish Meteorological Institute, put on by my friends and collaborators there. It's always great to be back in Helsinki. I know the city well, having had spent a year there in 2006-07, and then 2-3 weeks every summer for four years afterwards. We have good memories from our year there as a family, and I have good memories from those productive summer work trips. Also, after spending so much time there, I've developed strong friendships and collaborations. I've not done any research with this group of Finns for a while, but hopefully our time will come again. Oh, and the workshop was great, with good people and a good communal vibe.
For this trip to Helsinki, Jen joined me, together with her Missoula friend Aimee McQuilkin. We all stayed together in my flat. It was the first time Jen had been back since we had lived there more than 10 years ago, and she loved it. Aimee loved it too, calling it her favorite Baltic city. Helsinki is a special place, indeed.



No comments:
Post a Comment