Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Monday, July 10, 2017

A Grab Bag O' Peaks

Missoula from University Mountain
It was difficult acclimating to summer again after spending two weeks down under during winter solstice, especially with the heat that we've had since my return. During that time, I've done a number of local, smallish outings. 

During the first week I was back, I bagged Stark Mountain at the southern end of the Ninemile. I recommend this hike, as it's close to Missoula, has over 2000 feet of prominence, and has a working lookout on top. It's a grunt, though, and is south facing and hot, so beware of dragging your kids up the trail. The same week, I did Little Saint Joe, which is also close to Missoula and has about 3000 feet of gain in just a few miles, making it a good training hike if you only have 1/2 day and want to get out of Missoula. I eyed Saint Joseph Peak from the summit of Little Saint Joe and would have continued on and bagged it too if it weren't for the fact that we were leaving town that day, and I had to hurry home and pack for our trip. 

Next was Stuart and Mosquito Peaks after mountain biking to the wilderness boundary. This is a great trip that is incredibly close to town: 8 miles by bike from the Rattlesnake TH to the Wilderness boundary followed by 4 miles on foot. In my view, this trail perfectly illustrates why mountain bikes should NOT be allowed in Wilderness areas. If you could ride beyond the boundary, it would not be overly difficult to ride all the way to Sanders Lake, which is spectacular and is now remote and rarely visited because it's so hard to get to on foot.

Finally, we went to a wedding this past weekend up in Eureka and Jen and I hiked McGuire Lookout, which is nearby. This is a great 3 mile (one way) hike to a beautiful summit (the highest in the Salish Mountains) with over 3000 feet of prominence. And then, on the way home, I made the long drive on a pummeled dirt road to Upper Whitefish Lake and beyond to the trailhead for Nasukoin, which is the highest peak in the Whitefish Range. On the way to Nasukoin, the trail also summits Lake Mountain for a two peak day. This is a fantastic hike with tremendous views of Glacier Park across the North Fork of the Flathead Valley. Both McGuire and Nasukoin are contained in the book Peakbagging Montana, by Cedron Jones.

No comments: