During the winter, I did most of my skiing at the resort, but since they've all closed, I've been trying to get out into the back country once a week. Two weeks ago, I went up to Gash Point, which I last visited two years ago on snowshoes. After summiting the peak, I skied mellow slopes down, saving the steeper bowls for a day with a partner. This past weekend, I joined The Rocky Mountaineers on a trip up Trapper Peak. Alden Wright has organized a spring trip up Trapper for over 15 years and turned 75 years old on the day after this year's outing.
I love getting up into the high mountains this time of year. The peaks are chock-full of snow, making them as beautiful as during any other time of year. The snow also becomes more stable in the spring, making travel easier and avalanche conditions less worrisome. And of course, it's great to be making turns well into spring.
 |
No comments:
Post a Comment