Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Inner World/Outer World/Xmas Music Mix

Chillin' at my birthday potluck.
Jim James concert on my birthday. This man knows about the inner world.

Probably one of the last Mt. Sentinel hikes of the winter.
There's a tension between the demands of the inner life and of the outer life. For me, when the two become imbalanced -- usually due to neglect of my inner life -- I slip, no matter how great my outer life is going. It takes vigilance; the inner life is easy to neglect.

The fall shoulder season is usually a good time for the cultivation of my inner life: meditation, music, long walks, time with friends and family -- we all know the things that feed our soul. Before long, however, I start to feel a tension again, pushing me toward more ambitious outward action.  

Next year, I'd like to be more consistent in the cultivation of my inner life through the year. In 2016, I let it go during the summer, and then paid the price once work started in earnest in September. 

Here's a music mix that I've been working on for a month or so: JB Xmas 2016. It's all music by black artists (no Jim James on this one) released in the last year. So much great music coming out right now!

2 comments:

dmglue said...

Great Post! Really enjoyed it. I can appreciate the dialoged of the "Inner/Outer World" Keep up the great work!

Johnathan Bardsley said...

Thanks man!