 |
| Me on the summit of Gunsight. |
 |
| Dan on the summit. |
I hemmed and hawed the week before the Glacier Classic this year. It had been on my calendar for months, but with the Flathead Valley in the worst smoke of the year, I wasn't sure that I wanted to make the trip. I ended up deciding to go anyway a couple of days prior, and I'm glad I did. Glacier truly doesn't disappoint, and it's really pretty darn close to Missoula, all things considered.
The first day of the Classic started Friday, and I joined Dan Saxton for a climb of Gunsight Mountain. This is a straightforward trip. The difficulty is the length (about 20 miles round trip), and then there's a bit of scrambling at the top, but nothing very difficult. You park at Lake McDonald Lodge and then hike the trail nine miles to Comeau Pass (beyond Sperry Chalet). At the pass you leave the trail for the mile push to the summit. We didn't see much from the top, due to the smoke, but it was still a grand day.
 |
| On the long hike in. |
 |
| A small keyhole and jagged ridge. |
 |
| Cool contrasts. You can see the keyhole again, just barely. |
 |
| Masonry in 'The Notch'. The last steps to Comeau Pass. |
 |
| Como Pass and the peaks of Logan Pass hazy in the distance. |
 |
| Beginning the climb to the summit from Comeau Pass. |
 |
| Dan an Gunsight's middle summit. |
 |
| Summit smile. |
 |
| Heading down, a good shot of Mount Edwards. |
 |
| A very photogenic goat. |
No comments:
Post a Comment