Stark Mountain is the prominent peak that you see ahead of you as you're driving through Frenchtown heading west on I-90. It's also across the Ninemile Valley from Cha-paa-qn, and though it is lower in elevation, it is a much more challenging hike at 10 miles round trip and 4000+ feet of elevation gain.
When I went it was forecasted to be in the 90's in Missoula, and I didn't hit the trail until 9:30 am, so it was a hot and sweaty affair. The coolest thing was the working lookout on top. The fellow's name was Tom and it was his third season on Stark Mountain. Before him a lady (see picture below) had been the Stark Mountain lookout for 39 years. I didn't stay and chat long, as I had things to do in town, which I think disappointed Tom. So if you go up, make some time for the lookout. It's got to be an awesome but lonely gig.
Getting there (it took me a while to get this right): heading west on I-90, get off at the Ninemile exit, then take your first right after Remount Rd (the road to the Ninemile Ranger Station) on West Ninemile Rd. Drive for several miles and turn left on Remick Creek Rd, marked with a brown and white Forest Service sign. Follow this road, staying on the most traveled route, until you see a sign for Forest Service road 5515 and the Stark Mountain Lookout trail. Turn right and drive 6 miles to the trailhead.
Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, so I stole most of the below pictures from the web. The bear grass were really going off at the top. I've included a bear grass shot from Sheep Mountain last week, figuring it would give you an idea anyway.
![]() |
| Stark Mountain from Ninemile Valley in winter. |
![]() |
| Stark Mountain Lookout. I got to go inside. |
| This gal had been the Stark Mountain lookout for 39 years, just retiring 3 years ago. |
| Stark Mountain. |
![]() |
| Sheep Mountain Beargrass. It was just as good, if not better, up on Stark. |



No comments:
Post a Comment