Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Petty Mountain on Missoula's Western Horizon

Wildflowers


More wildflowers
From the Missoula Valley, far off to the west, north of Blue and Black Mountains and south of I-90, you can see a grassy peak. That's Petty Mountain. It's a great hike with great views.
Missoula in the distance

More views toward Missoula
A couple of weeks back I hiked up to Petty's summit. It's a nice hike, about 4 miles from the car to the summit. To get there, head west from Missoula on I-90 and get off on the first Alberton exit, also the exit for Petty Creek Road. Turn left (south), drive under I-90, cross the Clark Fork, and take your first left onto the Southside Road. Follow this road for a few miles, looking for a large brown and white Forest Service sign on the right for Forest Service Road 5563 and Petty Mountain.  Turn here and travel about 7 miles to a saddle and the trailhead sign on your right. If the road starts descending you've gone too far. Here's the Peakbagger map.

Looking up toward the summit
The hike is a nice one and is not very far from Missoula. There are lots of open parks and wild flowers and views in all directions, highly recommended.

Side note: I've been reflecting lately on how much less idealistic I am about the world than I was 20 years ago. But my hard boiled cynicism was shaken a bit on this trip when, while driving along the South Side Road, I stopped to ask some locals standing in their driveway for directions and was surprised that one of them was my old friend Eric Leithe. I invited Eric to join me on the hike and he did. We had a great conversation (the first we've had in many years), almost as if our meeting was a synchronicity, one of those words from my more idealistic days. 
Eric walking in the lead.


No comments: