This semester ended with a stagger across the finish line; an over-full first half, wore me down for the second half. But no rest for the weary: after entering my last grades Friday, and working through the weekend on research with a close colleague, I'm off today for a visit to my Texas grandmother, and then on to Finland for two weeks of research. I return on June 7, when summer begins for me.
One of the benefits of knowing you're going to be gone for three weeks is that it gets you out. I've been doing a lot of mountain biking over the past three weeks. I love my new bike -- it's so fast and light -- and also exploring the Pattee Canyon area.
I've also come to love Strava, which tracks your rides on GPS. Here's a couple of rides that I've done in the past two weeks: Pattee South and University Peak High Traverse. On the first ride/link, I dead ended on old logging roads up off of Larch Camp Road in an attempt to push a route through to the Deer Creek drainage. On the second ride/link, I found a logging road high on University Peak during a hike-a-bike, and later discovered that it links the road to the TV towers with the drainage containing the descent to the Cox Property.
I also raced Unravel the Scratch Gravel in Helena on Mother's Day, which was fun (here's the strava link). Jen wanted to go, visit her family, and race. So I raced too and realized that I've done so much of it over the years that it comes natural to me. I look forward to doing a bit more. I race with the big boys in Cat 1, and my goal is to not get last place, which I achieved in Helena.
No comments:
Post a Comment