I left a bit early today, because I wanted to visit the Houston Museum of Fine Arts. I've heard that Houston is an arts mecca, so I figured it would be good. It didn't disappoint. I look forward to bringing the family there when we come back down at Thanksgiving to visit Grandma. Anyway, below are a few crappy phone shots of a few of the paintings that inspired me. I wish I would a gotten a shot of one of the Remington's. Now off to Helsinki for two weeks of work. I pray that the reserves of energy and inspiration are there.
I am a mathematics professor at the University of Montana in Missoula. I like mathematics and where it takes me, from the student-filled classroom, to the far-off and interesting places of both the earth and the mind. I also like the freedom my job allows, giving room for the adventures written about here.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.
Saturday, May 24, 2014
Museum of Fine Art, Houston
I'm writing this from George Bush International Airport in Houston, after spending five days in Port Neches with my grandmother Jane. It was a stressful visit. She's 87 years old, physically and mentally frail, and has clearly crossed the threshold of being too old to live alone. Yet, she refuses to leave her home and even just bought a new car. The visit was in part to convince her to move. My father was her only child and he's gone, so it falls on me to do this, or at least, I'm taking it on myself. I was unsuccessful, yet there's room for optimism, amongst the worry; she's worse off than I realized.
I left a bit early today, because I wanted to visit the Houston Museum of Fine Arts. I've heard that Houston is an arts mecca, so I figured it would be good. It didn't disappoint. I look forward to bringing the family there when we come back down at Thanksgiving to visit Grandma. Anyway, below are a few crappy phone shots of a few of the paintings that inspired me. I wish I would a gotten a shot of one of the Remington's. Now off to Helsinki for two weeks of work. I pray that the reserves of energy and inspiration are there.
I left a bit early today, because I wanted to visit the Houston Museum of Fine Arts. I've heard that Houston is an arts mecca, so I figured it would be good. It didn't disappoint. I look forward to bringing the family there when we come back down at Thanksgiving to visit Grandma. Anyway, below are a few crappy phone shots of a few of the paintings that inspired me. I wish I would a gotten a shot of one of the Remington's. Now off to Helsinki for two weeks of work. I pray that the reserves of energy and inspiration are there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment