Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

A few more Missoula horizon summits: Blue Mountain, Jumbo, and Miller Peak

Missoula from Jumbo
It's been a dry November, so the low summits around Missoula don't have too much snow yet. You can still walk to the top of stuff that's 7000ft and below. Over the past couple of weeks, I've hiked Jumbo, Blue Mountain, and just today, Miller Peak. 
Pudge on the walk up Jumbo.

I actually had never hiked the trail that zigzags up the south face of Jumbo. It's my new favorite from-town-trail -- great views, easy walking, and not too busy.


A couple of weeks ago, I took a walk up Blue Mountain, which I had never done before. I drove up the road about 5 miles and started at the first switchback beyond the 'motor cycle trail head'. It was a nice walk, at about 3 hours and 10-12 miles. It's great to explore new areas; I've been overusing the Mount Sentinel trails.
Lookout on top of Blue Mountain.
And finally, today I hiked up Miller Peak. Getting to the start of this is a bit more of a trip, at about 20 miles from town. You drive up Miller Creek, the road turns to dirt, you pass all of the homes, the road changes to single lane dirt, then you take the first road on the left, and stay left at the fork a couple of miles in. You can actually drive this road to within a quarter mile of the top, but I stopped 6 or so miles from the summit and walked. There are radio towers on top and a stick that says Miller Peak. It was a cloudy day, but still a nice hike, if not a bit sketchy with all of the hunters out.


Miller Peak in clouds.
Miller Peak summit.