 |
| Pintler Wilderness boundary from Storm Lake |
Every summer for the past several, and usually near Labor Day when there's little time left to be in the high country, I head over to the Pintlers for a day peak bagging trip. This time I opted to bag Kurt Peak, which is at the back of Goat Flat. You start from Storm Lake and the access is easy -- maybe a little too easy judging from the heavy use it gets.
 |
| Looking back to Storm Lake Pass from the edge of Goat Flat |
It's probably 3-4 miles up to Goat Flat and then another mile to the other side where a rocky ridge leads you to Kurt Peak.
 |
| Where I tied Pudge at the edge of Goat Flat and began the ridge walk to Kurt Peak. |
The ridge walk to Kurt Peak takes you past one false summit (see below picture) and then on to the summit proper. I've been told that walking the ridge is doable but requires some exposed technical moves on cliffs 10-20 feet high. I opted instead for a non-technical route: head southwest (right of the spot where the below picture was taken) and angle down on steep-but-walkable scree toward Kurt Peak until you skirt a cliff band that reaches from the ridge down about 100 yards, then angle up to the face to the saddle you can see in the picture. That makes for a non-technical scramble, but watch for loose rock.
 |
| Kurt Peak from the edge of Goat Flat. |
The summit is great, with good views of Queener and Warren Peaks and other Pintler giants.
 |
| Queener Peak from Kurt Peak summit, Warren Peak in the distance. |
 |
| Looking back at Storm Lake Pass from Pudge's perch, Mt. Tiny in view. |
 |
| Storm Lake Pass again with Mt. Evans (?) in the background, Little Rainbow on the upper-right. |
This is a relatively short peak bagging day, as are many of the summits in this area. If I would have gotten an earlier start, I would have gone on to bag Queener as well -- another two hours round trip -- but I figure it's good to save and savor each one of these beauties.
 |
| Pudge saying by to summer on the drive home. |
No comments:
Post a Comment