For most of my life, I've willfully avoided listening to rap. But over the past few years, Alex has forced me to listen. So, I've slowly been coming around. And then over the past couple of months, something clicked and now it can hit me as deep as any great art form.
When I most willfully avoided rap, during the mid-90's, was the so-called East Coast Renaissance, when a bunch of great rap came out of New York City. Jay-Z was a product of this scene. Over the past few days, I've been listening to some of the classic rap albums of this time and place. The below Spotify playlist contains three songs from six of these albums.
Rap comes from the streets. Many of these artists came from the New York slums, and some were drug dealers before they made it as rappers. So if you're like me and haven't listened to much rap, the subject matter might seem rough and offensive. But as with experiencing any great art, it's best to shut off your brain and just feel it. And if you can't get past the crude subject matter, well, rap isn't for everyone. As for me, I love this stuff!
East Coast Renaissance -- mid-90s New York City Rap
1. Gang Starr – You Know My Steez
2. Gang Starr – Work
3. Gang Starr – Moment of Truth
4. Nas – New York State of Mind
5. Nas – Represent
6. Nas – It Ain't Hard To Tell
7. The Notorious B.I.G. – Machine Gun Funk
8. The Notorious B.I.G. – Warning
9. The Notorious B.I.G. – Unbelievable
10. Mobb Deep – Survival of the Fittest
11. Mobb Deep – Q.U. - Hectic
12. Mobb Deep – Shook Ones Part II
13. Jay-Z – Brooklyn's Finest
14. Jay-Z – D'evils
15. Jay-Z – Regrets
16. Chef Raekwon – Knuckleheadz
17. Chef Raekwon – Ice Water
18. Chef Raekwon – Guillotine (Swordz)
No comments:
Post a Comment