Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Dunedin in January 2013

St. Clair beach.
It's been nearly a week now that I've been in Dunedin. The year we spent here seems long ago, but in fact it's been only 18 months since we left. And several of my haunts remain unchanged, right down to the employees of my favorite coffee shop, sport shop, and at the Uni.

Highcliff Road looking toward Sandfly Bay.
There are few towns that I've found in which I think I could live happily. I like a place where I can imagine that I'm the keeper of a secret. Most of Montana is that way and so is the Dunedin area. But I'm also getting to be set in my ways, so that the work I do (research and teaching) feels like about the only thing I'm suited for. This narrows the list of possible places to Bozeman, Missoula, and Dunedin. And maybe a place like Santa Cruz, California; the Pacific Ocean is like a wilderness on the edge of town.
Otago Harbor from Highcliff Road.
It's been a busy week. The conference went Monday-Wednesday from dawn to dusk each day. Since then I've moved out to St. Claire. I can see the ocean from my room and have surfed several times since I've moved in. The conditions have been excellent -- though that's now changing -- and my body is sore from my efforts to glut myself on surfing and cycling while I'm here.


I also borrowed a road bike and have been able to do a few of my favorite rides. The most remarkable thing about riding in Dunedin is the spectacular scenery. The above shots were taken from Highcliff Road, which I rode yesterday.

St Claire beach from the Esplanade.
And finally, it's nice to get some sun. It's easy to adjust to summer, though I was bummed to miss the big powder day at Snowbowl yesterday.
Alex skiing pow yesterday at Snowbowl. If only you could be in two places at once.