Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: Week 32, The Central Otago Rail Trail

Jen and the kids at the start on Day 1
This past weekend, we took advantage of a good stretch of weather and spent a few days riding on the Central Otago Rail Trail. The Rail Trail is something that had been on our 'to do list' from the time we arrived, but it had gotten to the point where I wasn't sure we'd do it.
Central Otago is an awesome place. While not as famous as Fiordland National Park or the Southern Alps as a tourist destination, I find it every bit as nice. The scenery is reminiscent of the Helena area and of our land on the Dearborn River: dry, open, mountainous, and sunny.
Kiwi's will say that Central Otago has as close to a continental climate (like we have in Montana) as you'll find in New Zealand, with longer stretches of settled, sunny weather than on the coasts. We were lucky to have two stellar days for our ride.
The cycling was easy, along a railroad grade without wind, so that we were able to cover about 20 miles a day. We did the two best stretches of the trail -- Hyde-to-Ranfurly and Oturehua-to-Omakau -- and stayed two nights in the old gold mining town of Ophir. I biked the shuttles. It was challenging, but only just enough, so that the kids had a good time.

Another great NZ outing. I'd recommend it as a unique, just off the beaten path, experience for just about anyone. There's something subtley special about Central Otago.
Alex, Poolburn Gorge (I think).

Ophir Sunset

St Bathans and Blue Lake

In Lauder, near the end of Day 2.

No comments: