 |
| Jeff Oldham at the controls. |
Over the past couple of weeks, we've stuck close to home and have had some unique experiences. First, the weekend before last, Jeff Oldham (the father of Alex's friend Johnnie) invited me out for some fishing on the ocean. We left from Karitane Point on his boat and had no trouble getting into fish; Jeff knew some spots. We caught some blue cod and several of another kind of fish whose name escapes me. We also saw a school of about 100 dolphins. The trouble was that I soon lost my sea legs, and we had to come in after only a couple of hours. After tasting the fish that we'd caught, I was disappointed that I didn't stick it out longer so that we could have caught some more.
 |
| A school of dolphins |
A couple of days later, we met again at Karitane Point, but this time to surf. It was about sunset, and the waves were perfect. I went out with Alex and Johnnie and we each caught some good waves. If only it could be that good always. The great surfing and beautiful night made for one of our most memorable outings. Even better, Jen, Ellie, and our visitor Marije (from the Netherlands) were along as well.
 |
| From left: Johnnie, Alex, and I heading out to surf the river bar break at Karitane (Pipeline Dunedin). |
 |
| Alex and I are getting up together on this wave at Karitane. |
Finally, this past weekend, thanks to fellow Missoulian Alden Wright, who also happens to be on sabbatical in Dunedin, I discovered that the Otago Tramping Club was hiking Mt. Charles, on the Otago Peninsula on Sunday. Since this was on my to do list, I went along, and we had a great outing. When there's sun out on the Peninsula and you can get some altitude, it's hard to imaging more beautiful views.
 |
| UM Professor, and quintessential Missoula outdoorsman, Alden Wright, who by chance also ended up in Dunedin. |
 |
| Heading down from Mt. Charles (tallest point on the Otago Peninsula) towards Allans Beach below. |
No comments:
Post a Comment