I am a mathematics professor at the University of Montana in Missoula. I like mathematics and where it takes me, from the student-filled classroom, to the far-off and interesting places of both the earth and the mind. I also like the freedom my job allows, giving room for the adventures written about here.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.
Tuesday, July 31, 2018
Gray Wolf Peak, Missions
Back in spring, I had offered a Rocky Mountaineers trip to climb Sheepshead, in the Missions, on July 15. Once I realized I had over-booked myself, I cancelled the trip, but in the meantime, Fintan Maguire had written it on his calendar, and he contacted me about the trip the week before. My schedule had opened up, so we decided to get out together, and Fintan told Rocky Mountaineers president Forest Dean, who also wanted to join. I was still keen to do Sheepshead, but Forest pointed out that the grizzly closure started on the 15th, not on the 16th as I had thought, so we decided to do Gray Wolf instead. We followed the standard route, which is described in detail on summitpost. Due to the early date, there was significant snow in "the notch," but we were able to bi-pass it with only class 3 scrambling. It was a spectacular day with friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment