Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Burnt Mountain, Rock Creek

Walking to the west from from Burnt Mountain down to Rocky Creek Valley
Life has been crazy-busy of late. It's counter-intuitive given that Alex lives in Bozeman and Ellie is very busy with her studies, extracurricular activities, and friends. Family life is less busy than ever, it's work that's full. After 13 years of effort, things are really picking up. It feels like a watershed moment, when there's many directions I could go, but I'm unsure what the future holds. What I do know is that I love where I live, and I love my job: the students, the research, and, increasingly, my service to UM and my research community. 

Today I took Pudge down to Rock Creek, 25 miles from Missoula, and we walked up to Burnt Mountain. This is an ideal early season hike along a ridge heading east from Rock Creek Road. It's steep going, gaining 2500+ feet in about 4 miles. The southern flank of the ridge gets lots of sun, so it's open and snow free early in the spring, with great views.  
On the summit, looking off toward Sliderock Mountain.
Summit Shot, looking west toward Welcome Peak.



No comments: