Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Helsinki, Narcissus and Goldmund, and Grandma Jane

I’m in the midst of what has become my yearly sojourn to Helsinki, although this year the visit is short, as I’m only in the city to give a talk at a conference. This is the fifth (or sixth?) consecutive summer I’ve come to Helsinki. In previous summers, I’ve come to collaborate with Heikki Haario’s group. Those visits were long (2-3 weeks) and the work strenuous, but what came from them is a small body of research that I’m as proud of as anything I’ve done. But this visit may be the last one for a while, and though I’m glad to see things change, I don’t know what the future will bring. My fear is that I’ll not have any ideas as good as the best ones I’ve pursued in past summers here in Helsinki.

As with last year, on my way to Finland, I spent a few days in Beaumont, Texas with my grandmother, Jane. She will be 88 this August and is bedridden in a nursing home. She still has some of her wits (for example, she knows who I am), but her body is shot and her mind is slowly slipping. Her clearest distant memories, at this point, aren’t of her adult life, but rather are of her childhood in Miles City, Montana. She wants to go back there, to her childhood home, whose address she still remembers.

Visiting Grandma Jane brings a useful perspective: life is short and one day we, and all who know us, will be gone. How does the realization of the transitory nature of life inform the way we live? This question is one of the central ones in Hermann Hesse’s classic novel, ‘Narcissus and Goldmund’, which I read on the flights to and from Texas. I bought the book to give to Alex for graduation, started reading it again, and couldn’t put it down. It’s an important book for me; the first time I read it was when I was 22, when my father gave it to me, and it had a profound impact on me then. This reading, my third, it has also opened me up and got me reflecting on my life.

The story is of a great friendship, between Narcissus, a rigorous intellectual and pious monk, and one of his students Goldmund, who ends up devoting his life to freedom, the love of women, and art.  Early in the book Narcissus is Goldmund’s teacher in a cloister school and helps him to realize his true self – an artist and man of the senses – after which Goldmund embarks on the life of a wanderer. After several years of wandering, deeply moved by a statue of Mary that he sees in a church, Goldmund finds its maker, becomes his assistant, and devotes himself to becoming a sculpture artist. After several years, he becomes so accomplished that his master offers his daughter’s hand and his prosperous studio to him, but instead Goldmund chooses to return to the freedom of the road. After many more trials, including wandering through the death and destruction of plague-ravaged Germany, Goldmund ends up back at the cloister, where Narcissus is now the Abbot. Their friendship and love for each other rekindles, and in the last years of his short life, Goldmund makes several great sculptures for the Abbey.

Narcissus and Goldmund is among my very favorite books, and as with other of Hesse’s work, it’s easy to read, but also deals with deep philosophical questions about how to live. Narcissus and Goldmund represent two archetypes of the well-lived life at opposite ends of the spectrum. For me, they both serve as a mirror, reflecting back my own choices and asking, “Are you living life as well as you’d like to be?” 

No comments: