Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Sonyok Mountain, Flathead Reservation

Flathead River, Mission Valley, and the Missions from Sonyok Mountain.
Sheep's Head, McDonald, and Sonyok Mountain Lookout
Sonyok Mountain is yet another Flathead Reservation Peak on the list of Montana Peaks with 2000 feet of Prominence. This one took me two tries, not because it's so difficult, but because on the first attempt, I didn't drive close enough to the summit. And I almost didn't make it the second time, since I'd gone up to hike Red Sleep Mountain in the Bison Range but was informed that hiking isn't allowed in winter, so I continued on to Sonyok. I didn't hit the trail until 2pm and had to push it to make it back to Missoula by my 7.30pm deadline. This is stark and beautiful country down low, but then nicely wooded up high, and Sonyok Lookout might be the nicest I've been to, with one of the best views anywhere. The view of the Missions on what was a sunny winter afternoon was something to behold. We live in such a beautiful place. For directions on how to get to Sonyok, see below.
Sonyok Mountain Lookout.

The amazing Missions with the Flathead River below.
Another Missions with the Flathead below.

Looking north.
Looking west at Baldy (middle) and Deemer (left) in the distance.
The Snake.
Mighty McDonald.
Baldy Mountain
Calowahcan
Directions: drive west on Highway 200, past Dixon to Perma where the turn off to Hot Springs, Montana is. Turn here, cross the Flathead River, and turn right immediately. Drive this road several miles to a large abandoned ranch (one mile beyond regular plowing in winter). See pictures of the ranch below; this is an interesting spot. From here drive another four miles, approximately, to a gate with a spring on the right, and a left turn in the road. Here's where I left the road and headed up, bearing right. This will get you to the ridge containing Sonyok. Once there, it's another 1.5 miles, or so, to the summit. I could have driven further up the road, and in summer, you can drive nearly to the top.

Some pictures from the first outing are below:
The Missions in the distance.

Big old abondoned ranch. I'd love to know the history.
Pudge rolling out the cobwebs.
Three Lakes Peak across the Flathead River on the reservation divide.

The summit we did reach, Peak 4856 feet with 400+ feet of prominence, so I'll count it as a peak bagged.
Sonyok still several miles in the distance, another 3-4 hours round trip from Peak 4856.
Deemer left and Baldy right to the northwest.
The Rattlesnake to the southeast.

Bathtub rings of Lake Missoula and Missions in the distance.
Flathead River below and Three Lakes Peak above from Peak 4856.

Mount Baldy.
Stark country.
The old ranch on the way out. What went on there?

No comments: