Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Sky Pilot, Bitterroot Wilderness

State line marker up on Sky Pilot
Changes abound in our lives right now. Ellie is a freshman and Alex is a senior at Missoula Hellgate, and they're both venturing away from the family unit. Ellie is a social butterfly (her words) and wants to spend every moment, pretty much, with her friends, preferably away from home. Alex is around a bit more, but has his sights set on leaving Missoula in a year, making a go of it with his biking in Denver. Most of our friends with kids are in a different place; their kids are young. To them I say, "Relish it!" 
Summit cairn
One of the benefits of the kids pushing away is more freedom. I've been filling the void with activity, lately a lot of bagging peaks. Over Labor Day weekend, after some recovery from my trip up Castle Crag on Saturday, and some around town chores, I left late on Sunday and hiked up Bear Creek Canyon in the Bitterroot, with the goal of bagging Sky Pilot Peak. Bear Canyon is spectacular. I highly recommend it, even as a short hike to the lower falls with the family. I hit the trail at 6pm and didn't arrive at Bryan Lake, 8 miles in, until 9pm, made a fire and went to bed soon after.
Pudge above the lake.

The summit in clouds.
The next morning I left camp at around 8am and summitted Sky Pilot (the best peak-name in the Bitterroot if you ask me). It was a pretty mellow walk up compared to some of the other Bitterroot peaks I've done. At the top, a cloudy mist was trying to clear, so I waited around, and it finally did. The hike out was long and tiring. I left the summit around 11am and was back at the car at around 3pm. The entire trip was great: the canyon during the walk in, the lake, the peak. If you have a few days to kill, you couldn't do much better than Bear Canyon, Bryan Lake, and Sky Pilot.
I was there.

yet another summit cairn shot

state line marker

Looking south.

Looking north at Ranger Peak on the left.
Another shot looking south. Castle Crag is among the craggy peaks beyond the ridge above Bryan Lake below.



No comments: