![]() |
| That's me tele-ing Guns and Roses on the backside of Discovery several years back. So long free heels. |
This may sound like no big deal, but it kind of is for me. I started telemarking back in the winter of 1992-93 as a freshman at Montana Tech. I was passionate about skiing from the start and remain so, but I always was proud of the fact that I was a telemarker, especially back in the 90's when that was the 'cool thing'. Over the years, I got to be pretty proficient on the teles, moving from leather boots to the modern, beefy plastic boots that are as stiff as an alpine boot.
I probably would never have given telemarking up, but my knees began to hurt me a few years back. I was able to ignore the pain for a while, as it wasn't so bad, but finally this year it began to impinge on the fun, and so I figured it was time. I've been glad to find that the move to alpine from telemarking is easy. Indeed, alpine skiing is significantly less strenuous and so I can enjoy a longer day, I feel like I can ski harder, and most importantly for me, it doesn't hurt.
Okay it hurts a little, but that's skiing for you. Where else can you ride 2500 feet down a mountain, weaving through trees and snow, in five minutes. (Oh yeah, mountain biking!) It's a feeling like few others. Anyway, I say good bye to telemark skiing, in the hopes that I'll be traveling to the hill in winter for decades to come.

2 comments:
I totally sympathize. And after a wipeout a few years ago (it came with stitches) and increasingly tender knees (how much of that ACL is still holding things together?), I do no serious backcountry. Have thought about the Randonee route, but at this point in my life I'm happy with long aerobic workouts on snowmachine trails or the more-or-less groomed runs at Moulton.
It's good to know that you, Ecorover, have creaky knees as well, cause from my vantage you get out and enjoy this gorgeous world enviably often.
Post a Comment