| St. Clair beach -- our last outing at our local haunt :(. |
Well, after our trip to Australia, the surf season ends. Here in Dunedin, folks are still surfing, but the ocean and air temps have dropped, so that you need a winter wet suit, gloves, booties, and hood. The investment required to get these things is too much to warrant an extra couple of weeks of surfing, so we've thrown in the towel.
By any measure, we surfed our butts off this year, with over 90 total outings. With Ellie and Jen typically at home, Alex and I would keep these outings on the short side (1-2 hours), so our total hours on the water probably wasn't huge, but we got out a lot and went from total beginners to solidly intermediate surfers, knocking on the door to advanced. Alex and I progressed at about the same pace, more or less, but truth be told, he's a bit better surfer than I am, the little bugger.
It's with sadness that I let this sport go. For one thing, I feel like I'm just starting to get the hang of it, and yet there's still so much to learn. For another, I really love where surfing takes me, especially here in Dunedin: out on the water in a wild ocean, at some beach with character, with a cool group of local surfers. I could easily become a surfer, letting my other sports (skiing and mountain biking) move more into the background, but this probably isn't my destiny. On the other hand, it looks like the surf boards will be coming back to Montana. I'm hoping we can find a way to surf at least once a year.
No comments:
Post a Comment