Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: Week 37, Sharing the Experience


Marylesa and Kaleb Howard.

As I've said in previous journal entries, the times we've shared with the visitors we've had have proven to be among the most rewarding of our NZ odyssey.
One of the primary examples of this is the time we've shared with my PhD student Marylesa and her husband Kaleb. They came to Dunedin in early February and are leaving for home tomorrow, after nearly three months. During that time, we've shared several outings and dinners and count them as friends.
Marylesa is entering the final year of her PhD studies this coming fall. She's been, and continues to be, a great student, and I've really enjoyed having her here to work with over the past few months. I'll miss peaking into her office to talk research.
Marylesa and Kaleb found a great little apartment near the city center, bought an inexpensive car, and travelled extensively around the South Island. They were married just this past summer, so their NZ odyssey was a honeymoon of sorts. It was great to witness their experience, and to share some of ours with them.
Some of my colleagues cautioned me against inviting a student to visit me on sabbatical, but I'm really glad that I did.
And here they are at the highest pont on the Rail Trail.

No comments: