Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

New Zealand Odyssey: Week 20, Summer Solstice at Christmas

The Bardsley, December 17, 2010, Glenorchy, New Zealand.

Yesterday was summer solstice, down under. We stood out in our backyard with our neighbors at 10pm, still twilight, shorts and t-shirts, and watched the lunar eclipse.
You all know the glow that the air gets at twilight on a clear summer night. Well, it's here now, and I'm finding it hard to get into the Christmas spirit. My body says it should be the 4th of July.
Two nights ago, I went on a ride from 9-10pm, and it wasn't too dark for it, though I got home just in time. High on Upper Junction Road, looking east over Otago Harbor, I was struck by the light and the colorful clouds and how similar the view was to an eastern sky at twilight on a clear summer night back home.
And it's not just the weather that keeps the Christmas spirit at bay. It's being away from family and friends. Several times over the past couple of weeks, even in the midst of beautiful summer days, I've wished we were home for the holidays. As great as this adventure is, it's those connections that are most important, and this is the time of year to celebrate them.
Happy holidays to all of you.

No comments: