Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

New Zealand Odyssey: Week 16, Ellie

Ellie at the Dunedin Saturday Market
At the kids' current stage of development, I feel that I am entering a new stage of parenting: one in which flexibility (not one of my strengths) is increasingly valuable, while stubborn willfulness (something I have in spades) becomes increasingly less effective, especially with Ellie. Needless to say, I am learning about myself, and hope to make some improvements in the course of the year. 

Ellie is doing well here in Dunedin. She's attending North East Valley Normal School (NEVN), where the classes are small and the pressure is light. The New Zealand school system is recognized worldwide for its ability to educate a broad range of students, from the least to the most talented. As a result, the curriculum moves more slowly here; both kids are finding school to be easier than it was back home, with little homework and pressure.  There seems to be more space for them to be kids, and as a result they are happier at school. However I do worry -- especially for Alex as he heads into high school -- that the transition back to U.S. schools will be difficult.

At NEVN, Ellie stands out. She's a good student, is self-possessed and confident, is taller than most of the other children, and has come into her athleticism here in NZ. She's particularly proud of the fact that she's the fastest kid in her school, and her interest in track has prompted us to put her and Alex into a local track club.

Ellie is also very social and has had a rich experience in friendship in the short time we've been here. She's confident and joyful, is a natural leader, and has been fortunate in that she's made many friends on our street. While Alex loves physical activity -- biking, surfing, skiing -- Ellie loves to hang out with friends, and resists our tendency toward hyper-activity.

The Baldwin Street clan of kids is currently building a big fort up at the top of the street. After many hours of work on the fort yesterday, Ellie said that it was the 'funnest day of her life' and pleaded that we leave her behind rather than force her to go to the beach on a blue bird day. So you see what I deal with. Needless to say, I increasingly find myself humbled by my kids, and Ellie in particular.
The Baldwin Street crew at the fort.
Ellie and one of the local cats on Halloween.

Running the 800 at the Otago champs.
Ellie playing touch rugby.

No comments: