 |
| A clam bed in Purakanui Inlet |
One of the things my brother's Kiwi friend told me just before we left for New Zealand was, "If a Kiwi invites you to come to their place to stay, they mean it, so don't hesitate to go."
My host here in the Physics Department at the University of Otago, Colin Fox, has a crib (what we'd call a cabin in Montana) out at Purakanui, which is a little settlement on Purakanui Inlet, about half-an-hour out of Dunedin. Last week he invited me to bring myself and family out and stay sometime, and so following the advice of my brother's friend, I said, "How about this weekend?" So that's what we did.
We spent an evening, had a great meal, with chowder made with clams (cockles here) just taken out of the bay, and some top-notch tacos, stayed the night, and took a walk the next day. I was so taken by the clam chowder the previous night, that I filled my coat pockets with clams and made my own chowder later in the day. It turned out great.
And speaking of digging for clams, work is going well. I've been going in every day and participating in the mystery that is research. It's a strange and wonderful thing that I have the time to pursue ideas of my choosing and passion. Thus far, I've been working to wrap-up projects begun in Missoula, but am soon heading into new terrain.
 |
| Colin Fox mustachioed. |
 |
| Fun on the rope swing. |
 |
| Ellie gives it a shot |
 |
| Alex's first swim in the NZ sea. |
 |
| Joyful Ella. |
No comments:
Post a Comment