Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Mountain Biking: New Deer Creek Road to Miller Creek Link-up

Here's my route from Strava
On Friday, the day before leaving town for two weeks, I went out for a long, slow mountain bike ride. I had the vague notion of trying to ride to the top of Miller Peak from town, but I got a late start and ended up exploring around at the very end of Deer Creek Road instead. In my exploring, I came across a sequence of rock cairns and flagging that lead me on trail to an old logging road descent into Miller Creek. It was a piece of cake to follow the route: ride Deer Creek Road to its end at a Forest Service gate; go through the gate and keep your eyes open for a rock cairn on your right, about a mile after the gate; then follow the cairns and flagging to an old, but well-constructed logging road that switchbacks to the bottom of the Little Park Creek drainage. On the way out Miller Creek, I flatted and a couple of fellows gave me a ride into town. They were saying good-bye to their family home, which they were putting on the market as their parents had both recently passed away. Not surprisingly, they had a melancholy air about them.

I am reading the Jim Harrison book "The Road Home" for book club. It's a great book. Here are a couple of things that have struck me in my reading. These are from the first narrator, an old man:

  • The sense of proportion in good and bad experience loses its appeal. Bad is bad and you let it go. Good you cherish as it wizzes by.
  • We think of life as a solid and are haunted when time tells us it's a fluid.
Also, I've been putting together a music mix of stuff I've been listening to through spring. Here it is.

No comments: