| A few Mission giants, looking north from Flattop: Calowahcan (back), Sheep's Head, and McDonald. |
A week or two ago, I climbed Kakashe and Flattop in the Missions. As you come over the pass into St. Ignatius and see the always stunning view of the western front of the Missions, Flattop is the obvious flat topped summit just ahead, and Kakashe is the next peak south along the ridge. To climb them, you go to Mission Reservoir and continue on beyond to the Mission Falls trailhead, or just before it. The goal is to gain the ridge just to the north, which you then follow to the summit. There's a good trail there, but it's the most slowly switch backing trail I've ever seen, so I didn't stay on it long. Once to the top of the ridge, you have to traverse east to the south face of Kakashe, where there is, perhaps, some class 3 climbing, but nothing too difficult. The walk over to Flattop from Kakashe is straightforward, and since it's the higher of the two, you've got to do it if you've reached Kakashe. For my GPS route, click here.
On the map, this looks like it might be a relatively straightforward climb, and it is in terms of the route, but it's a real butt kicker. Jen said I looked green when I got home, but I was just totally spent having had banged it out 'quick'.
| On the way up, looking at the final traverse and climb up to Kakashe. |
| The Garden Wall from Kakashe. |
| Western views from Kakashe. |
| South from Kakashe: Sonielem Ridge Highpoint and East and West St. Marrys. |
| Flattop and McDonald from Kakashe. |
| Looking back at Kakashe on the way to Flattop. |
| Sheep's Head and McDonald from Tlattop. |
| Sheep's Head and Calowahcan in the back. |
| On the way down, a view of Mountaineer Peak. |
| Sonielem Highpoint again, calling to me. |
| Looking back at, from left to right, Flattop, Kakashe, the Garden Wall, and Sonielem Highpoint. |
| Flattop and Kakashe from the Mission Valley. |
3 comments:
Hi John,
I am Brad Jensen. I was born and raised in St.Ignatius Montana. As a very young boy (14) I hiked Mt. Kakashe. From our ranch on the valley floor, just a little direct west of kakashe, It appears that it is one peak with what looks like the top blown partly off. When I got off the mission dan ridge and started up what I thought was Kakashe ridge, I finally realized that there were two peaks and Kakashe was the taller and eastern one, and there was a deep raven between them. I was wanting to make it back by night fall, so I just stayed to the ridge I was on and went to the top. I still think about going back and finishing my climb to Kakashe peak (and now after seeing your pictures, go on to Flattop. Where did I go wrong on the trail? Should I have split off earlier? I actually hiked from my ranch from the west directly up to the east end of the Mission Dam ridge on the east. ( This was through the logged out but nearly grown back, 40 acres of timber at the base and north side of what I call Mission Dam ridge. I would love to hear from you. Also, my alternate email is bjensen@ischematic.com.
Thanks again for the great pictures!!
Brad
John,
Okay, I read your opening remarks again (I'm a scanner :-) ) and it gave very clear directions. I do have one other question however: how many hours was the climb up and back from the Mission Falls trail-head?
I would love to hear back from you; thanks
Brad
Hi Brad. It took me 7 hours, but I was in a hurry. Best, John
Post a Comment