Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Morrell Mountain and Lookout, Swan Range

Pudge and the Missions (left), Swan (middle), and Bob Marshall (right).
I've spent little time in the Swan Range, though I have plans for that to change, as it's gorgeous and close to Missoula. Seeley Lake, where the Swan Range begins, is similar in distance from Missoula as Hamilton, so accessing the Swan requires about as long of a drive as the central and southern Bitterroot. I can look out over my remaining active years and know that the great ranges of the Missoula area (the Bitterroot, Mission, and Swan) will keep me occupied.

Recently, I took the dog up to Morrell Lookout and beyond to Morrell Mountain. In summer, you can drive to the lookout, from which Morrell Mountain is another mile or so. The peaks of the southern Swan Front seem close enough to touch, and the views into the Bob Marshall must be some of the best anywhere: you can see all the way into the South Fork of the Flathead drainage and beyond to the summits of the Rocky Mountain Front. 

On this day, I drove to a drift about one mile from the lookout, so the outing (at 5 miles round trip) was one of the more mellow of the year, and I was back in town by 2pm.  
Looking southwest from Morrell Mountain.
Morrell Lookout
Looking south at Morrell Lookout from Morrell Mountain.
The Swan and Bob Marshall -- South Fork of the Flathead in the distance.

No comments: